Friday, May 3, 2013

Homemade Bubble Jet Set Solution Tutorial

I can imagine some of you asking, "What in the world is Bubble Jet Set Solution?!".  In a nutshell, it is a treatment used on fabric to make it colorfast and printable.  Now, why did I hunt this technique down in the first place?  And why am I sharing it on my blog?  Well, first thing's first.  I think those of us familiar with store bought colorfast printable fabric know that it has the consistency of lightweight cardboard.  Not something anyone wants to snuggle up to.  Here is an example of a printing done on store bought colorfast printable fabric...
 
 
How wonderfully vibrant in color!  However, this particular quilt top (made for my kids' preschool teacher) has twenty-four 4" x 5" blocks, which makes for a VERY stiff quilt.  Bummer.  I happen to have another photo quilt project I am working on and I wanted to find a softer colorfast fabric... enter Bubble Jet Set.
 
Now, Bubble Jet Set is the trademark name of the colorfast solution found on the Internet.  It is also available in stores, but I have yet to find it where I live. It costs around $16.00 per 32 oz. bottle.  It promotes colorfast fabric that FEELS like fabric.  SQUEEEEAAAAL!  However, I needed it sooner than later.  Soooo.... I found several recipes on how to make my own Bubble Jet Set for a fraction of the cost.  I bought what I needed (cost: around $9.00) and set up a chemistry lab in my kitchen.  Bwahaha!  And you know what?  I am THRILLED with the results!  So I had to share this infamous secret with you.  On with the tutorial...
 
 
Most of the recipes I found had the exact same ingredients and amounts:
 
Homemade Bubble Jet Set Solution
2 Tbls. Alum (found in the spices aisle)                    
2 1/2 tsp. Washing Soda (found in the laundry aisle)
1/2 tsp. Liquid Fabric Softener (NOTE: THE GAIN     
        SHOWN ABOVE IS FABRIC SOFTENER, NOT DETERGENT!)
1 cup HOT tap water                                              
large bowl                                                            
100% cotton fabric in white or cream                      
      (FYI: It has been said in several articles that this solution
works best on 100% cotton fabrics.)
 
Mix alum, washing soda, liquid fabric softener and hot water together in a bowl big enough to accommodate your fabric.  Let it settle for 15 minutes.
 
 
Stir again to make sure everything is dissolved.  It should resemble the picture shown above.  Dip and stir fabric with your hands to evenly coat the fabric.  I played around with it for about 5 minutes.
 
 
Let fabric set for 15 minutes.  Wring out the excess solution and save for later in a marked, air proof container.  (A little goes a long way!) Note: The left over solution will seperate... just give it a good shake before you use it again. 
 
 
 
Rinse the fabric in cool water.  Now, I forgot to rinse mine... (insert sheepish look here).  But, no worries.  It still worked out!  Hang the fabric to dry or cheat and put it in the dryer like I did. =)
 
Now that we have the Colorfast Fabric, let's see how well it works with printing!
 
Lightly press the treated fabric.  Using a dry iron on a cotton setting, adhere waxed Freezer Paper (found near the Ziploc bags in the store) to the fabric.  Cut 8 1/2" x 11" sheets out of papered fabric.  Re-press to insure that the paper is firmly attached to the fabric, especially around the edges.
 






 
Now we are ready to print!  You MUST use an ink jet printer.  Laser printers will not work!  Figure out the finished size you want your image to be and make allowances to that measurement for seams.  Set your ink jet printer to Best print setting (if available).  I suggest you use the original picture when copying, if possible.  This insures the clearest printing.  Or use a photo straight off your computer.  Load the papered fabric into the printer like you would a normal piece of paper.
 
 
And here's Audrey in all her glory fresh off the press!  While you can use color photos, black and white has much less bleeding and fading.  Let the ink set into the fabric for at least 20 minutes.  I left mine to set for half the day... only because a little thing called life got in the way!  Sigh...  Peel the freezer paper off the back of your printed fabric.  Fill your kitchen sink with about 2 inches of luke warm water mixed with a small splash of liquid fabric softener.  Liquid fabric softener works as a mild detergent.  This step is a must if you want minimal bleeding and fading when/if you wash your finished project.
 
 
As you can see, up around my fingers, the extra ink is bleeding out.  This is a good thing and to be expected.  Agitate lightly through the rinse for a few minutes.  I used the same rinse water for all four of my fabric sheets with no problems.  My water was a very murky shade of grey in the end... but my pictures still look pretty amazing!
 
 
Place the fabric image side up on a towel.  Blot fabric gently with a towel to absorb excess water. 
 
 
With a dry iron on a cotton setting, gently press the fabric, image side up. This will evaporate any remaining water. Cut your images to the desired size. (Remember those seam allowances!) I am so pleased with my Audrey images! While the fabric isn't quite as supple as it was originally, it is pretty close.  And a hundred times better than the store bought colorfast fabric sheets.  And... my hands smell wonderfully like lavendar. Bonus!
 
 
Now you are ready to sew your customized fabric into something wonderfully unique and amazing!  What am I going to do with my darling images of Audrey?  Well... that's for another time and post! =)





27 comments:

  1. Do you iron the shiny side of the wax paper to the fabric? I'm pretty sure but just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this looks like being a Christmas gift lifesaver, how has it lasted? Does it wash well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I wish I could say. I haven't needed to wash anything I've made... Yet. ;) Sorry I can't be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a question I have asked SEVERAL groups and still need an answer. CAN Iuse waxed paper instead of freezer paper??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Unfortunately, waxed paper won't work. Waxed paper is waxed on both sides and freezer paper is waxed on just one side. The fabric adheres to the waxed side of the freezer paper, while the heat if the iron works it's magic on the paper side. I hope this helps.=)

      Delete
  5. I tried with color and most of the color bled out :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I'll be honest... I've only tried black and white and they've all done great. I'll have to try color and see what happens on my end. Just curious... did the color bleed out during prep or washing the finished project? I've read on several other tutorials that this method works best with black and white, but never mentioned the colored photos bleed out so bad. I'm sorry. =(

      Delete
  6. I read this same recipe on a site by someone named Rebecca. She used color photos and said it worked well without the color bleeding out. I purchased ingredients today (Soda Ash from cleaning isle, way up high). I will go try it now.... in color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I would love to know how your project worked out... =)

      Delete
  7. Hi, tried this recipe and used colour. Also ironed for a little while after printing hoping the heat would set the colour and it did retain some colour. but lost most. Still a great picture, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I have yet to try color. Thank you for the information!

      Delete
  8. I also tried this method using color and found most all the color did bleed out. I did experiment with heat setting as well as letting the ink dry overnight but the results were the same. The only color that did not fade much was Black. This process is fun just disappointed by the results after washing. I have come to the conclusion it is best to use this process for projects that do not require washing. I have yet to try the commercial brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... Good to know. Thank you for the input. :)

      Delete
  9. I did this today and am test washing a picture right now in the washing machine with a full load on delicate. Fingers crossed it works. I called a tshirt store to see about getting some pictures printed and they wanted $15 per picture!! If this doesn't work, I just won't include pictures in my memory quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works!! I have yet to wash any pictures I've printed... They are on a quilt that I display, not use. Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Joseph Chance WatkinsOctober 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM

    Thanks so much for the info and tutorial; Jesus Christ Bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wondering if the people who had problems used unwashed fabric?? I was taught to use "prepared for dyeing" fabric for painting, and think that this is probably the same. Not sure, but I thing the PFD fabric is actually just washed fabric to remove all the sizing and such. Just a thought ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your tutorial I have had great success with your mixture. I have had great fun playing with the fabric now looking forward to using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so happy to hear it worked for you! Thank you for commenting your success!

      Delete
  13. I've read that using a printer that uses PIGMENT inks such as Epson and Kodak work better. Pigment ink is supposed to be water & UV proof. I'm going to try this weekend and see how it does. I have a Kodak printer. Just research to see what kind of ink your printer uses. The Kodak I have was under $100 and the ink is very cheap. $10 black cartridge and $15 color cartridge. That's why I bought it in the first place. This will be an added bonus if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've also read that once printed, soaking in a vinegar bath 5 minutes sets the ink. Not sure if it works either but worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bubble Jet Set used to be sold by Needlecraft in Plamerston North but no longer. It is available on Fishpondhttp://www.fishpond.co.nz/Toys/Bubble-Jet-Set-2000-Fabric-Printing-Solution-950ml-Jenkins/0812002000014

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Stacy, I'm such a DIYer and love this tutorial, although I want to print my colored artwork to make decorative pillows. I'm interested to see how Carole's project came out. I might try to send her a message to. I want to get an Epson printer as Carole suggested, but only have an HP. I'm not sure if they are pigment inks, but will give a try! Thanks again for the instructions... Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just printed the color pictures on cloth and freezer paper before reading all the necessary tips. I then washed it as I washed other fabrics. All the color came out! And was a bit faded even though I used cold water wash. So now I'll do the prep work, including the vinegar wash and I'll let you all know how it does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just read that the ink itself makes the difference. Pigment ink has more staying power than dye ink. Black is is more often pigment and color is more often dye. Made sense then why the colored ink washes out as opposed to the black.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The reason that the black stays better is because all black ink is primarily a "Pigment Ink" while color is "Dye Ink".. Pigment ink works best.

    ReplyDelete